Hardings Solicitors have built relationships with local and regional families and businesses that have lasted generations.
The firms historic roots date back over seventy years and are linked by the two firms: Swinburne, Jackson & Company and Harding, Clinton & Burn. Major Swinburne of Gateshead and Colonel Jackson of Durham established the original Swinburne & Jackson in the early 1940’s. In the same decade Stanley Keith Harding became ‘articled’ to Frederick Wood of Robinson, Todd, Hope & Wood Solicitors at 35 West Sunniside, Sunderland. Mr Harding gained his Solicitors practicing certificate in 1952. Upon becoming a Partner alongside Brian Clinton and John Burn, the practice changed its name to Harding, Clinton and Burn in 1962. The practice continued to trade from 35-38 West Sunniside, Sunderland well into the early 1990’s. In 1994, Harding & Handy Solicitors merged with Swinburne Jackson Solicitors to become Harding Swinburne Jackson Solicitors and subsequently moved offices to 58 Frederick Street, Sunderland.
In 1998 the partnership was dissolved and Harding Swinburne Jackson and Co Solicitors traded solely from 58 Frederick Street and Swinburne Jackson continued as a Partnership in Chester-le-Street. Charles Hughes became the Principle of Harding Swinburne Jackson and Co Solicitors in 1999. Subsequent notable Solicitors joined as Partners throughout the last decade such as Tony Southwick, Brian Robson and Willy Johnston. In March 2010, Hollie Catherine Jobes joined as a Solicitor and following the growth of the firm was made a full equity Partner. In honour of both our historic roots and of our founder, the firm were proud to be simply called ‘Hardings Solicitors’ from June 2012. Mr Hardings remains both a client and continues to consult with the practice on a weekly basis. In April 2013, the practice moved to 58 John Street, Sunderland to sustain the ongoing growth of the business and maintain its commitment to the City of Sunderland and its people.